Friday, August 31, 2012

Coaching Dilemma!



            As I have become increasingly involved in competitive, amateur endurance sports such as triathlon, I am confounded with the question of the necessity in seeking out a personal coach.  My competitive nature says “why not, you can’t PR Ironman Arizona alone” while my Competitive Nature says “wouldn’t it be incredible to PR Ironman Arizona alone?”  Or, is seeking out a health professional more than just for feeding my competitiveness?  There could be something to say for a full life of health and wellness guided by the people that know best.  As I have a more positive, optimistic personality, I tend to enjoy comparing the pros in both scenarios.

Coached
1.       Personal fitness assessments, testing of current fitness level, performed by someone far more knowledgeable than myself
2.       Personalized goals based on the above assessments that push me forward without the risk of injury or burnout
3.       A streamlined monthly workout schedule that saves me a countless amount of hours to design
4.       My own encouragement guru, coming alongside daily to lift my spirits as I grind inconsistently through the program
5.       Someone to watch me cross the finish line while offering a high five, smiles, and a much needed sports drink
6.       A professional who not only accompanies me through the short-term but provides an outline for life long health and fitness weaved intricately through a busy American lifestyle

Un-Coached
1.       Possibly saving $120 - $240 per month (based on 1 training session per week at a corporate club such as 24 Hour Fitness, LA Fitness, Gold’s Gym, etc.)
2.       Becoming a semi-professional trainer: Sifting through thousands of blogs, forums, health & fitness websites to gain the knowledge necessary to train efficiently and effectively without causing long term injury while attaining my goals
3.       Becoming a master in self-motivation: Rearranging my schedule to squeeze in two workouts on Thursday because for the 3rd straight week I forgot about that work team building exercise on Wednesday evening
4.       Proficiency in social skills: Mostly at races because no one is there to greet me at the finish as I desperately need to discuss the ups and downs during that competition’s various trials

As we face the question together of coaching versus solo, we cannot undervalue or underestimate what coaching brings to the table.  Sure, we can all surf the highway of knowledge and piece together a pseudo workout program that may or may not bring us temporary happiness in the short term.  The bigger question is whether we have the time to invest alongside jobs and family as well as money to invest in potential future injuries.  I can’t stress enough that fitness is a life-long pursuit and smart investments now can lead to health savings later.

As for our competitive natures, well, it’s not always about the podium finish. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post. You've convinced me that you need to be my coach, even if via skype.

    ReplyDelete